Sydney, NSW, Australia
The Middle Head Fortifications, consisting of the Inner and Outer Batteries; and the nearby Beehive Casemate at Obelisk bay. Designed to protect the approaches to Middle Harbour, construction began in 1873.
They were extensively modified in 1892 (to accommodate two 6" 'disappearing' guns), and remained operational until 1918.
The Inner Battery was used once again during WWII to accommodate searchlights.
AustraliaMiddle HeadMosmanNSWSydneySydney HarbourSydney Harbour National ParkWWII