Carlingford, Sydney, NSW, Australia
The Sydney suburb of Carlingford. Originally home to the Wallumedegal (sometimes 'Wallumattagai') people, first settled by Europeans in the 1790s.
Known by various names prior to 1883, the area formally became 'Carlingford' on Jul 16 of that year. The name itself is thought to have been either describing similarities to the Irish town, or chosen to honour Lord Carlingford - the British Under-secretary to the Colonies.
This particular structure is the K13 Memorial on Pennant Hills Road. HMS K13 was a steam-propelled First World War K class submarine of the British Royal Navy. She sank in an accident during sea trials in early 1917; killing the 80 people on board - 53 crew, 14 employees of the shipbuilders, five sub-contractors, five Admiralty officials, a River Clyde pilot, and the captain and engineering officer from the still-completing K14.