On the left is Warriston's Close, Cockburn St. Named for Sir Archibald Johnstoun of Warriston - leading spirit in the framing of the National Covenant in 1638 - who had his town house on the west side of the close.
The Close was truncated by Cockburn St (with steps now replacing Warriston Brae), and the upper section (the High St end) was partly replaced by the City Chambers. Access is now via Writers' Court.
Nearby is Advocate's Close. Believed to date from 1544, it's named for Sir James Stewart of Goodtrees, Advocate of Scotland at the time of the Union.
closeCockburn StEdinburghGreat BritainHigh StreetRoyal MileScotlandstepstravelUKUnited Kingdom