Writers' Court, High St. Built at the end of the seventeenth century by mason Robert Milne (sometimes 'Mylne') and vintner Patrick Steel, and once the site of a great manse occupied by John Knox from 1560 to 1566.
Largely incorporated into the West section of the City Chambers, and providing access from the High St to the remaining portion of Warriston's Close.
So named after the court became home to a library for the 'Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet' ('WS Society'), later reinforced by the presence of the publishers William & Robert Chambers.
EdinburghGreat BritainHigh StreetRoyal MileScotlandUKUnited Kingdomclosestepsstreetlighttravel