The New Scottish Parliament under construction, on the site of the former headquarters of the Scottish and Newcastle brewery - demolished 1995-1998 for the present buildings. The brewery itself had passed through a number of sets of hands over the years, beginning with Grizel Syme in 1749.
The Parliament was designed by architect Enric Miralles, constructed Jun 1999 - Oct 2004.
Canongate, the main street of the burgh ‘The Canongate’ (formally becoming part of Edinburgh in 1856). The name comes from the canons of Holyrood Abbey (behind the Palace), paired with the Scots word 'gait' meaning 'road'.
The Nelson Monument. Honouring Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson (specifically his victory over the French and Spanish fleets at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805), it was constructed at the highest point of Calton Hill (171m above sea level) 1807-1815.
Designed by architect Robert Burn, and funded by public subscription.