Millers Point, Sydney, NSW, Australia
The incredible Sydney suburb of Millers Point - on the southern shore of Sydney Harbour. Originally home to the Aboriginal Cadigal people as a hunting and fishing region (and there were numerous shell middens here as a result), referred to as 'Cockle Bay Point' following European settlement.
From about 1820s onward Jack Leighton operated a mill here, and the area was referred to as 'Jack, the Miller's Point' (later shortened to 'Miller's Point').
This particular building is Richmond Villa, Kent St. Designed by Mortimer Lewis and constructed 1849 as his private residence, it was later (shortly after Lewis’ death) resumed by the NSW Government.
In 1975 it was relocated to its present site (reopening in 1978), to make room for additions to Parliament House. The building is now home to the Society of Australian Genealogists.
AustraliaMillers PointMortimer LewisNSWSydneyquarry
From Millers Point : Richmond Villa