Parramatta, Sydney, NSW, Australia
The City of Parramatta (now considered a suburb of Sydney) was originally home to the Darug people, who lived here for some 30,000 years. The name itself is a corruption of the Darug term Baramada ('head of waters' or 'the place where the eels lie down').
Europeans arrived in Jan 1788 with only enough food to last for a short time. Parramatta was established primarily as a Government Farm (it was the furthest navigable point inland on the Parramatta River) in what is now Parramatta Park.
This particular body of water is the Parramatta River, with the Barry Wilde Bridge (and fountain) in the distance.
On the right is the car park for the former David Jones store (opened Nov 1961, demolished Jul 2013), beside the magnificent Lennox Bridge (David Lennox, 1836-1839). Gradually being replaced by the Riverside Meriton towers - a combination of residential and commercial spaces.
AustraliaJames HouisonNSWParramattaParramatta RiverRiversideSydneybridgecar park
From Parramatta : Barry Wilde Bridge