Balls Head Reserve, Waverton, Sydney, NSW, Australia
The Sydney suburb of Waverton, in the city's 'Lower North Shore' area. Named in 1929 after early resident Robert Old's home 'Waverton Estate' (which in turn was named for the English village).
This particular item is one of 33 coal skips which formed part of the Sydney Coal Bunkering Company's coal loading system. Coal was transferred to the top of the adjacent building, and poured down holes into these skips in the tunnels below. The skips then travelled along rail lines to the nearby bunkering wharf, where the coal was loaded into waiting steamers.
Built in 1917 (and only closed in 1992), it was easily the most advanced operation of its type in the Southern Hemisphere.
AustraliaBalls Head ReserveHenry Lidgbird BallNSWSydneyWavertoncoal loadersign