North Parramatta, NSW, Australia
The Parramatta Female Factory, in the grounds of Cumberland Hospital. Functionally a combination of a prison and a workhouse.
Originally sited in what is now known as Prince Alfred Park (formerly 'Gaol Green' or 'Hanging Green'), it was later relocated to a 4-acre slice of William Bligh's grant. The various buildings were largely designed by architect Francis Greenway, constructed 1818-1821.
It operated up until the end of convict transportation to the colony, and in 1848 was reassigned as a Convict Lunatic and Invalid Asylum.
NB : The reason it is called a factory is because it manufactured cloth - linen, wool and linsey woolsey. The factory was also the site of the colony's first manufactured export, producing 60,000 yards (55,000m) of woven cloth in 1822.
AustraliaNSWNorth ParramattaPrince AlfredSydneyWilliam Blighhospitalplaque
From North Parramatta : Female Factory