Signal Hill Reserve, Watson's Bay, Sydney, NSW, Australia
One of two gun emplacements at Signal Hill Battery, Watson's Bay. Constructed 1892-1893, it was intended to defend Sydney from bombardment by an enemy vessel standing off the coast.
Each gun pit held a BL 9.2 inch (234 mm) Mk VI breech-loading 'counter bombardment' British Armstrong 'disappearing' gun (last fired 1933, removed 1937 - now on display at the Royal Australian Artillery Museum at North Fort, North Head).
Two 6 inch (152 mm) Mk XI guns were added during WWII, and removed shortly afterward.
AustraliaNSWSignal Hill ReserveSydneyVaucluseWWIIbarbettebatteryremoved
From WWI Sydney