Site of the The Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway, better known as 'The Innocent Railway'. Located between Dalkeith and the south side of Arthur's Seat.
Opened in stages from 1831 it was Edinburgh's first railway; built to convey coal from pits near Dalkeith to the capital. In 1845 it was purchased by North British Railway and partly incorporated into the Waverley Route.
Holyrood Park, Edinburgh, Scotland
The Parade Ground. Purchased by the crown in 1877 from the Belleville estate, and still in use as a venue for mass gatherings.
Arthur's Seat, Holyrood Park. At 251m, it stands as the highest peak in the park - and has some magnificent views to show for it. Beautiful place.
Holyrood Park, Edinburgh
The New Scottish Parliament under construction, on the site of the former headquarters of the Scottish and Newcastle brewery - demolished 1995-1998 for the present buildings. The brewery itself had passed through a number of sets of hands over the years, beginning with Grizel Syme in 1749.
The Parliament was designed by architect Enric Miralles, constructed Jun 1999 - Oct 2004.
The Mound, an artificial hill built in the 1770s using the earth excavated during construction of The New Town.
The Dean Village section of The Water of Leith - the main river flowing through Edinburgh to the Firth of Forth. The adjacent path (The Water of Leith Walkway, which is both footpath and cycleway) was constructed 1973-1981 and opened shortly afterward.
From Water of Leith
Site of the Calton Road Gasworks (aka 'Edinburgh Gas Works'). Production began 1817.
In the 1930s the site became the home of the Eastern Scottish Bus Company, which became First Edinburgh in 1999. The buildings were demolished in 2007.
Edinburgh Castle, Scotland
Mons Meg. A bombard (type of large caliber, muzzle-loading canon) built 1449 on the orders of Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy and sent as a gift to King James II of Scotland in 1454.
Employed in sieges until the mid 16thC, thereafter only fired on ceremonial occasions.
Canongate, the main street of the burgh ‘The Canongate’ (formally becoming part of Edinburgh in 1856). The name comes from the canons of Holyrood Abbey (behind the Palace), paired with the Scots word 'gait' meaning 'road'.
Canongate. Many Edinburgh shopowners board their windows in anticipation of riots surrounding the 'Make Poverty History' protests and the G8 summit at Gleneagles.
Craig's Close, Cockburn St. Named after wright and burgess John Craig.
Originally much longer (and running straight through from High St to Market St), the upper section was demolished 1932 to make way for an extension to the City Chambers.
The Make Poverty History protest, an estimated (by the BBC) 225,000 people who marched in Edinburgh on 2 July 2005, both raising awareness of global poverty and seeking governmental policy change.