Dawes Point, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Dawes Point (Tar-ra) Park, under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Formally recognised as a recreational area in 1878.
Named for Lieutenant William Dawes (1762-1836), astronomer with the First Fleet. Tar-ra is the original local aboriginal name for the area.
This particular structure is one of the Sydney Harbour Bridge's 'Cable Saddles'. Two U-shaped trenches, 40m deep, containing 128 steel cables, held the two bridge spans in place until they met in the middle.
Uncovered during archaeological works in 2001.
AustraliaDawes PointFrancis GreenwayJohn BradfieldNSWSydneySydney Harbour Bridgebridgeconstructiondemolishedgaolsign