Waverton, Sydney, NSW, Australia
The Sydney suburb of Waverton, in the city's 'Lower North Shore' area. Named in 1929 after early resident Robert Old's home 'Waverton Estate' (which in turn was named for the English village).
This particular area is the former BP site, Waverton Peninsula Reserve. From 1908 to 1993 it was home to the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (now known as 'BP Australia'), and Commonwealth Oil Refineries (a joint venture between APOC and the Australian government); used primarily as a fuel storage and distribution facility.
In 1993 the tanks were removed, environmental rehabilitation commenced and the site was opened as public parkland on 12 Mar 2005.