South Bridge, running from the High Street to Chambers/Infirmary Street. Designed by Robert Adam and constructed 1785-1788, it replaced Marlin’s Wynd, Peebles Wynd and Niddry’s Wynd as well as large parts of The Tron Kirk.
Only one of the 19 arches is now visible (that over the Cowgate), giving it the appearance of a street rather than a bridge. The remainder were gradually blocked in the 19thC by local businesses, who purchased the valuable space beside the bridge.
CowgateEdinburghGreat BritainRobert AdamScotlandSouth BridgeUKUnited Kingdombridgeconstructionsigntravel