The former Craigwell Brewery, built on the site of Craig's Well - the area's first water supply.
Calton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandStreet PhotographystreetlighttravelUKUnited Kingdom
Calton Rd, Edinburgh
Calton Road, at the foot of the hill of the same name.
Calton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainheritageScotlandStreet Photographystreetlighttraffic lightstravelUKUnited Kingdom
Lochend Close, shortly before construction of Panmure Court - studio apartments used primarily as student accommodation.
Calton RoadcloseEdinburghGreat BritainheritageScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
The site of what is now Panmure Court, situated behind Adam Smith's former home, Panmure House.
Calton RoadEdinburghgraffitiGreat BritainheritageScotlandsigntravelUKUnited Kingdom
The road (originally a close, built in 1591) leading down from the 'Auld Tolbooth' - Old Tolbooth Wynd.
Calton RoadCanongatecloseEdinburghGreat BritainheritageRoyal MileScotlandstreetlighttravelUKUnited Kingdomwynd
Part of the close (built in 1591) under and behind the 'Auld Tolbooth’. Between Canongate and Calton Road.
Calton RoadCanongatecloseEdinburghGreat BritainheritageRoyal MileScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
Site of the Calton Road Gasworks (aka 'Edinburgh Gas Works'). Production began 1817.
In the 1930s the site became the home of the Eastern Scottish Bus Company, which became First Edinburgh in 1999. The buildings were demolished in 2007.
Calton RoaddemolishedEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandstreetlighttravelUKUnited Kingdom
Studio 24 (club). If you're wondering about the name, this is 24–26 Calton Road.
Calton RoadclubEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
The former Balmoral Brewery, built for Gordon Blair around 1859 . The malthouse (the building on the right) was later used by the Craigwell Brewery across the road.
breweryCalton RoadcloseEdinburghgateGreat BritainScotlandsigntravelUKUnited Kingdom
Next to the Calton Road end of Campbell's Close, named for Canongate magistrate George Campbell - who owned a tenement on the north side in 1682.
Calton RoadcloseEdinburghgateGreat BritainScotlandsigntravelUKUnited Kingdom
Construction of office space at 22 Calton Road.
Calton RoadconstructionEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
Where Calton Road meets Leith St.
Calton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainLeith WalkpubScotlandStreet PhotographytravelUKUnited Kingdom
The path from Calton Road to Regent Road.
AbbeyhillCalton HillCalton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainRegent RoadScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
The former Edinburgh General Post Office building, being transformed into 'Waverley Gate' (only the facade is being kept). Constructed 1861-1866, closed Oct 1995.
AbbeyhillCalton RoadconstructionEdinburghGreat BritainPost OfficeRobert MathesonScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
AbbeyhillCalton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
Calton Road, under the Regent Bridge (Waterloo Place). Designed by architect Archibald Elliott, constructed 1814-1819.
Archibald ElliotbridgeCalton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
Retaining wall below the site of the former Calton Jail.
Calton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
Calton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandstreetlighttravelUKUnited Kingdom
Railway Bridge over Calton Road. Contains the entrance to the 'Jacobs Ladder' path up to Regent Road.
bridgeCalton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainrailwayScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
bridgeCalton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainrailwayScotlandStreet PhotographytravelUKUnited Kingdom
AbbeyhillbreweryCalton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
Site of the Edinburgh Waverley Goods Yard, demolished 2004. Now known as ‘Waverley Court’, home to Edinburgh Council.
Archibald ElliotCalton Roadcar parkconstructiondemolishedEdinburghgaolGreat BritainMarket StpanoScotlandstationStreet PhotographytravelUKUnited KingdomWaverley Station
The Governor's House from the former Calton Jail [opened 1817]. The gaol itself was demolished in 1930, to make way for St Andrew's House - headquarters of the Scottish Government.
AbbeyhillArchibald ElliotCalton RoadconstructiondemolishedEdinburghgaolGreat BritainRegent RoadScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
Section of wall from the former Calton Jail [opened 1817]. The gaol itself was demolished in 1930, to make way for St Andrew's House - headquarters of the Scottish Government.
AbbeyhillArchibald ElliotCalton HillCalton RoaddemolishedEdinburghgaolGreat BritainRegent RoadScotlandtravelUKUnited Kingdom
Edinburgh's Waverley Station [1866-1868], partly demolished in 2004 to make way for City Council buildings.
Calton RoadconstructionEdinburghGreat BritainhotelPost OfficeScotlandstationtravelUKUnited KingdomWaverley Station
Calton RoaddemolishedEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandsignStreet PhotographytravelUKUnited Kingdom
EdinburghGreat BritainNew StreetScotlandStreet PhotographyUKUnited Kingdombusdemolishedstationtravel
EdinburghGreat BritainNew StreetScotlandUKUnited Kingdomgraffitisigntravel
Looking down New St, from near the Canongate. On the right is the former Eastern Scottish Bus Depot (demolished in 2006), with St Andrew's House in the background.
Archibald ElliotCalton HillCalton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainNew StreetScotlandSt Andrews HouseUKUnited Kingdombridgebusdemolishedgaolstationstreetlighttravel
AbbeyhillCalton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandStreet PhotographyUKUnited Kingdomgraffitisigntravel
North Canongate Infant School, New Street. Designed by Robert Wilson (architect for Edinburgh School Board), constructed 1900-1901.
It was repurposed as a 'school of building' in 1943, offices in 1968 and the Canongate Venture - a mixture of small businesses and workshops - in 1981.
EdinburghGreat BritainMarket StNew StreetScotlandUKUnited Kingdomschooltravel
Construction of Panmure Court, Lochend Close. Studio apartments used primarily as student accommodation.
Calton RoadEdinburghGreat BritainScotlandUKUnited Kingdomcloseconstructiontravel