Advocate's Close, joining the High St part of the Royal Mile to Cockburn St. Named for Sir James Stewart of Goodtrees, the last Advocate of Scotland - in office 1692-1709.
The close itself was constructed a little before this time, 1544.
NB : The series of homes now occupied by the DOM Gallery are the oldest residential buildings in Edinburgh, dating to 1580, 1590 and 1630. The oldest - home to the main part of the gallery - is from the late 15thC.
closeEdinburghGreat BritainHigh StreetRoyal MileScotlandStreet PhotographytravelUKUnited Kingdom